Our Story

On the green
On the green

press to zoom
The Club house
The Club house

press to zoom
Old members SBC
Old members SBC

press to zoom
On the green
On the green

press to zoom
1/4

Affiliated in 1910

in action_edited.jpg

History

It is not known when Seaton Bowling Club was formed, but it has been established that the Club was first affiliated to the Devon County Association in 1910 and accordingly centenary celebrations were held in 2010.​

The Club originally played its bowls in the vicinity of Westwood Way, adjoining Colyford Road near the ground of Seaton Town Football Club, before moving to its present location in Sea Hill in 1929. The green, which is leased from East Devon District Council and was laid at a cost in the region of £600, was officially opened on 18th July, 1929 by Mr G. Lang, President of the English Bowling Association. A detailed account of the occasion of the opening of the green was published in the Pulman’s Weekly News of 23rd July, 1929.

The Pavillion & Green

The original pavilion in Sea Hill was a wooden hut.

 

During the ensuing years this was replaced by a pavilion of a more substantial structure but of basic design.

With the aid of a Lottery Grant in 1996, repayable bonds purchased by the members and fund raising events, the Club were able to extend the pavilion and incorporate a modern kitchen and a bar.

Additionally, the dressing rooms were designed in such a way that partitioning can be removed at the end of the outdoor bowling season to allow room for two rinks of short mat bowls to be played, plus a skittle alley, to give members alternative interests during the winter months.

The original green lasted until 2020 when it was completely replaced at a cost of £24000!

sbc3.png
Seaton Bowling club
SEATONBOWLLOGO.jpg

The Club Badge

The Club badge has a fascincating History. The ship, depicted in the redesigned badge of Seaton Bowling Club, is of the type shown in all versions of the badge currently in use. This ship is the barque SV Berar, which was built at the yard of William Pile, of Pile, Hay and Company, Sunderland, in September 1863. She was an iron vessel, some 188 feet long, 32 feet beam, three masted and, of course, square rigged.

DSC00014.JPG.jpg

Events & Meetings

We frequently arrange friendly matches against Clubs within an approximate distance of 30 miles from Seaton.  All of these fixtures are Mixed and are played mainly on a home and away basis. 
We also enter competitive competitions and host tours from a number of bowling clubs touring the West Country